I am living and working in Uganda with Amazima Ministries, but my eyes are set on eternity.

Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory. (Colossians 3:1-4)

Saturday, October 9, 2010

The Lord's Calling

Being here in Uganda has made me think about my life. What was I born for? What have I done that matters? Who will I have an influence on? What goals should I have? Who in my life should I look to for examples? Will I do anything that will be remembered? And if so, who, what, when, where, and how am I going to do so? I hope you know me well enough to know that I don’t care for money, power, or recognition, but I do care that I am not just another living, breathing, sinning, human-being. Through scripture and prayer I have begun to understand what God’s goals for my life are and am blessed to have many around me that are following the Lord. They are a great inspiration for me.

“Thankfully my best is not all I have to offer. Inside me shines something more, something I can offer my children that will never disappoint, the light and power of Christ. My children will not remember a saint when they recall their mother. Instead, they will remember a woman who bit her upper lip and then dropped to her knees and begged Jesus for strength. They will remember a woman who often said, ‘I don’t know, but I’ll pray about it.’” “I am nothing in the eyes of the world, but I am special because God chose me. He loves me. He has made a home with me. He is transforming and purifying me in preparation for an eternity with Him. He does this not because of any righteous act of mine, but because of His mercy.” (http://mothersbible.typepad.com/blog/2010/06/i--wish-my-kids-couldnt-articulate-with-alacrity-the-exact-location-of-my-upper--lip-when-i-am-upset-i-wish-that.html)

These words remind me that I don’t need to be in Africa to follow the Lord’s calling. Radical faith can be experienced no matter the circumstance! I cannot express the thankfulness I have for my family. All things constructed begin with a solid foundation. My parents have not only been that solid foundation, but much more. They have been the origin of wisdom, humble examples, and sources of unwavering love. Beyond my parents my fortune doesn’t diminish. My brother, sister, sister-in-law, brother-in-law, and all of their children impact me in ways that I can’t describe, Most of you know Brian and Rebecca and can understand how these two brilliant children of God could make an eternal impact on my life, but I want you to know that God has chosen for both of them counterparts that exceed all expectations. I hate to say it, but I have pride in my in-laws. Donnie Berry and Lisa Lang intimately love me and pray for me in all I do. I know that I couldn’t ever ask for anybody better for my brother and sister. To me they are not just in-laws, but rather brothers and sisters in Christ. They were born into my family! Praise God! I apologize that this post has nothing to do with Africa, but it does have to do with our Lord which, if we think about it, matters more than anything else. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment