I am living and working in Uganda with Amazima Ministries, but my eyes are set on eternity.

Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory. (Colossians 3:1-4)

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Meeting My Crew



I met some of the boys I will be teaching and working with today. Holy buckets it is going to be interesting. I don’t know much about their knowledge level yet or how quickly they will learn, but just overcoming some of the cultural stuff is going to be hard. Here if you are an employee and you question your boss you are fired. You especially don’t question a white boss. Also, you reply “yes” when asked if you understand no matter if you do or you don’t, to save face. Both of these things will make it difficult to judge their learning and understanding. Also, they are very timid. I mean insanely timid. I’m not sure if it is the boss issue or the white issue, but they won’t look me in the eye and almost never talk. This should be fun!

I am so thankful to be doing the Lord’s work. I can imagine how concerned I might be about progress and my success in this project if I were doing it for the organization or for myself. Luckily, I am doing it for the Lord so He is in charge. I will research and plan, work hard, and lean heavily on Him. May I be pleasing in His sight.

The food here rocks. As many of you know, I am not a super big fan of traditional American food. The great part about that fact is that the area that they struggle with here is American food. I’m not sure about the history behind it, but there is a huge Indian influence here. This means there is tons of quality Indian food. Hooray!!! There is also one Chinese restaurant which is great and a superb Thai place. Eat your hearts out Brian and Lisa. I have also tried the street vendor food and some grasshopers from the market, both of which were surprisingly good. I actually plan on seeking out both in the future. The traditional staples are rice, beans, and posho (which is maize flour cooked into a porridge or dough-like consistency). I have yet to have posho, but the beans and rice are just what you would expect.





Thanks everyone for the prayers. I know everyone says that, but I honestly want to let you know I think about it often and it is reassuring that many of my friends and family are speaking to our mighty Lord on my behalf.

No comments:

Post a Comment