I am living and working in Uganda with Amazima Ministries, but my eyes are set on eternity.

Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory. (Colossians 3:1-4)

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Serving His Children




The photo included here is of children getting beans, rice, and an orange at Renee’s house. Renee is a young woman from the states that has become close friends with Katie and has her own organization here in Jinja (www.servinghischildren.org). She is working towards the same goals as Amazima and is a very sweet girl. One special thing she does is take in malnourished babies and rehabilitate them so they can rejoin their families. Obviously, in situations like these there is health education and follow up to make sure the kids are doing well.


Anyway, there are about 900 or so kids that come every Tuesday and Thursday to get a good nutritious meal. I spent last Thursday out there and helped serve the kids.

This just hit me as I was writing about the kids at the program. I want to tell you about their tattered clothes and their dirty feet yet for some reason it does not feel right. Since being here I have seen buses of whites driving around on what appears to be a “poverty tour.” And I have met people that like being here based on the attention they get and the stories they can tell. I don’t want anybody to read any words I write and think “oh look at the adventure he is on” or “what a sacrifice he is making.” As for the adventure, I am for sure on an adventure, but I pray that anybody that reads this will not think about me, but instead about God and the adventure he can lead you on in your own life. And as for a sacrifice, I promise you that it is easy to love these children. They are beautiful beyond description. I know that each and every one of you has many people in your lives that are much more difficult to love. Anyway, I will try and tell you about what is going on, but please don’t think me pompous or prideful, and know that I relate my stories to keep you informed because I know you love me and hope that maybe something I am doing might impact you and your relationship with our Creator.

This are some of the things Amazina has going on:

-400 kids are sponsored to go to school, receive medical care, receive school supplies, and attend the Saturday program where they have worship, Bible study, and are fed.

-They also feed 1000 kids daily at a school in one of the poorest areas of Jinja. These kids are mostly members of the Karamojong tribe.

As far as I know Renee’s program is similar to the second one. These kids are the poorest of the poor, yet they still have the determination to share a smile and a thank you when they receive their food. The children of the Lord are beautiful indeed.

I encourage any of you to support Renee and what she is doing, financially if you are able, and more importantly in your prayers. She is getting a video made for her upcoming trip back to the States and I will try and get a copy to share with you all. Here is a link to a previous one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PR-7xWFAec


No comments:

Post a Comment