I am living and working in Uganda with Amazima Ministries, but my eyes are set on eternity.

Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory. (Colossians 3:1-4)

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Obama in Uganda




I have never met so many die-hard fans of somebody that they know little to nothing about. It seems that all of Uganda is in love with Obama. I think it is hilarious. It is honestly amazing the random stuff that you can get. One of the boys I am teaching has a holographic Obama belt buckle. I have also seen Obama posters, satchels, key chains, and many poorly printed t-shirts. While riding a boda boda the other day the driver asked, in broken Ugandan English, if I voted for Obama and told me that he is a good man. He also informed me how much he likes Americans because they see everyone as the same (referring to skin color). I have not experienced as much of the distaste for Americans as I thought I might. From what I am noticing here it seems that mostly only people from other highly developed countries think Americans are cocky, ignorant, jerks. I suppose both groups are correct in some instances. If anybody has an interest in Obama paraphernalia get back to me, I might be able to work something out for you.

The different dialect of English used here makes everything pretty entertaining. Going to restaurants and reading the menu is great fun. Today we noticed that they had Spare Robs at the place we were eating. Obviously, you can’t pass up the opportunity to question the waitress about their Spare Robs and if this over-abundance of Robs is a problem just locally or a national issue. Thankfully she understood the error in the menu and laughed with us about it. Another interesting food option are several different entrees covered in “mayonnaise sauce”. As for me and my house we will not eat anything in mayonnaise sauce. I’m not sure if that sounds appetizing to anybody else, but it sure doesn’t to me. Lots of places don’t actually have everything that is on their menu at any given time. Tyler told me this and told me that you should ask about which items they don’t have. He then demonstrated at a nice hotel restaurant.

Tyler - “Do you have everything that is listed on your menu or are you out of any items?”

Waitress - “We have everything”

Tyler - “Ok great I will have the pork chop”

Waitress - “I’m sorry we are out of the pork chop”

Fantastic! I love it. These instances are great when taken with good humor, but I think over time they can wear on a person. I hope the Holy Spirit will never let me get to a point where I cannot laugh about these encounters.

No comments:

Post a Comment